Sunday, August 3, 2008

clifftop

Going to clifftop (or the Appalachian String Band Music Festival) has been a family tradition for about 4 years now. Unfortunately in the past I've always been away, but this year I got to take the long hike up to West Virginia and spend some quality family time listenin to fiddles, trying to flatfoot, and hangin out at the family booth. I have to say it was quite an experience. I loved the constant merry background of old time jams, and of course learning about a truly unique american culture.


they love them some old time


this is the old groove trailer where we made our base camp for the week


my mini set up complete with some old time washboards!


there were gorgeous luna moths everywhere!


my little cousin emma advertising my merchandise and playing the mandolin


My dad and uncle, who both love to play and listen to old time, started our family tradition of attending this festival. My dad owns a promotional products company and t shirt business, and my uncle is an illustrator, so it seems natural that they should combine their forces and create their own company Old Groove. They print t shirts and various other accessories that have to do with the old time music and culture they love so much. It was a huge hit at the festival the first year they brought some t shirts and they have bought a booth there ever since.

This year, my dad and uncle let me set up my own table within their booth. My little mini set up included an old window, and some old washboards I fashioned into displays for my necklaces, earrings and hair clips. Overall I'd say for having such a small set up I seemed to generate a lot of interest and definitely enough sales to make it worth my while. I think my reused and recycled jewelry theme really fit in with the old time "hippie" atmosphere.

It was definitley a great time and I really can't wait to continue the tradition and go again next year!

No comments: